Today is kind of a rest day. We are trying to get on China's schedule and lose our jet lag. Some first impressions from the little amount we have seen so far. In our hotel most people speak English, but get away from the hotel, and not many do. I am all of a sudden in the shoes of the person who doesn't speak the language. People say things to me and I just have to smile and wave. What is interesting to me is how often we communicate. When that is taken away from you, it becomes clear how much we depend on it. I almost ache to communicate with these people. I want to know their stories. I want to know what life is like for them. I want to make sure I am not breaking some cultural rules. I guess what it boils down to is that I want to leave the impression that I respect and honor them as people. I want to represent my country and more importantly my God well. It reminds me of a quote that is attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary use words." I can't use words here. Or at least very few, so I will have to find other ways to be respectful and gracious.
First impressions: People are quiet here. No background music in many places. With a population over 17 million there is little noise other than the honking of car horns. Horns are as used in place of brakes here. They are tools of communication in the swirling mass of people. The city seems to be very clean. At least in this part of the city cleanliness must be intentional. The ever present smog hanging in the air is the only thing that doesn't seem to be scrubbed clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Wikoffs,
We're enjoying the updates...almost feels like we're there w/ you... Kyle says to tell you that your house burned down, but not worry because we'll build you a new one before you get home. Ok, bye bye now, miss you tons,
K & K
Wow, that was great Craig. What is the time differnce from home? What do the people wear for clothes? What is the weather like? Love you all Roni
Thanks for building our house Kyle and Kendall! You guys are the best!
Roni, it is 15 hour difference. So while it is 6:00 am here, it is 3:00pm where you are. The people dress like we do. Mostly conservative. No open toed sandles though--mom and I are getting looks! It was in the 80's yesterday and humid. Thanks for the comments!
Post a Comment