Wednesday, January 16, 2008

God is better than GPS





Well, Dani asked where we were headed in Oregon. Tonight we at the Nehalem Bay campground. We think it will be beautiful in the daylight, but we only got here at sunset. Our plans started out good. We were planning on getting here in the early afternoon. We left Orting, Washington at about 10:30 am. As we were driving by Mt. St. Helens Visitor Center, Shar and I both commented that we had always wanted to see that, but we had never stopped. So, our first side trip began. It was a cool place, and we got to go inside a model of the volcano. I still vividly remember May 18th, 1980 when the mountain blew. I watched the plume of ash from my back yard. Amanda's note: I liked watching the short movie about the St. Helens eruption. After leaving the visitors center we plugged our coordinates into our GPS program and followed their lead. Before too long I began to think that we should have checked the Good Sam website about RV friendly routes. It was curvy, and narrow. What I thought would take an hour and a half stretched into more and more time. I'll let Amanda pick up the story from here.

Amanda: "My family and I are at the Oregon coast and have been traveling a long way. It would have been shorter except Microsoft Max got us on the wrong track. Here is the whole story. We were doing fine but Microsoft Max thought that the best route to take was a logging road. So, we were stuck with a Suburban pulling a twenty-six foot trailer on a snowy gravel road that said Private Property. We stopped, wondering what to do. We noticed that there was a guy behind us. My dad went back to talk to him to see if he could give us some directions. It turned out that it was a guy named Peter that we knew from our church. He told us how to get turned around and get out of there. So we went to the end of the logging place and stopped to figure out the best way to go. Then a police man came by. He stopped and talked to us, and let us follow him to where we needed to turn. Finally we got here."

Some would say that God isn't very involved in our daily lives. That he doesn't have time to pay attention to the little things that are going on with us. As far as I know we weren't in any danger on that logging road. It was a little frustrating, but we were alright. Even so, God sent someone who knew us. What are the odds that in the middle of nowhere Oregon, hundreds of miles from home, we get stuck on a logging road, and someone from church stops to help us out? Then what are the odds that a police officer would stop on that very road and give us a seven mile personal escort to get us on the right road? God is sure good to his kids!

No comments: