Saturday, May 2, 2009

tourist and reality

I think I really like Beijing. While it is VERY different from what we know it is a cool city. We are seeing amazing things like Craig explained but in the back of my mind (ok, not the back but maybe middle front) is the thought that all this touring is not what we came here for. I am hugely thankful for the opportunity to learn and be in the culture of our new son but Monday, tomorrow for us is the day we came for.

That brings some fear with it. Craig appropriately named this two worlds collide. It could be messy. I am resting in the fact that God brought us on this journey and will continue to walk with us throught it all. But I am aware that it may not be easy. The reward will be great and worth it but there is still some fear in me. What if he doesn't like us? How will we communicate? How will we console him? All things God knows and can take care of. I guess I would ask for you to pray for wisdom for us in these next days. One thing that has happened to bring us hope is one of the families we are traveling with has a 4 year old daughter they adopted and she is adorable and very well adapted to her forever family.

Thanks for your prayers for our safety and health. They are being answered. We are going to the Great Wall of China today--amazing!

5 comments:

Dawn Brindle said...

You are all SO in our thoughts and prayers. What an amazing gift you are being given and giving yourselves. As a reminder that smiles can communicate a lot, here's a poem I found by Kate Burnside:


BEAUTIFUL SMILE


We may be
damaged people,
but we still have
Beautiful Smiles;

not testament
of where we have been,
or vain symbol of
triumphal victory,

but a sign
of the vision
of where it is
we are headed,
and of the Spirit
that will take us there.


The sign is shared,
person to person,
and many who
pursue its path
know of its
meaning.

It imparts
a knowledge of
inner peace,
reconciliation,
resolution -

and, above all,
a future hope:


like sunshine
through the rain,
this human rainbow,
fragmented
and reflected
through
the multitudes,

says that
All Will Be Well.

Chad said...

Having been in countries where I don't speak their language I found one thing to be true. It is the same thing I have found to be true even amoungst those who do understand my language. LOVE, above all else will speak. Will it be easy? Doubtful, but you didn't sign up for easy. May your love be worn on your sleeve, and in your eyes, and through your voice. I am betting that Monday Luke will experience more love in that day than he has in his entire life. Love bears all, believes all, hopes all, LOVE never fails.
We love all 6 of you!

p.s. Jamie is trying to talk me into taking in this abandoned dog, ...come home soon I need help!

Larry and Joanne said...

We are so excited for you and also feel anxious for you at the same time. The Father tells us not to be anxious and asks us to look at the lilies of the field as an example. How much more precious are all of you and also Luke. Father knows your fears and also sees beyond them, as you will also. Take care for tomorrow and be anxious in nothing. The power of the Father's love will be amazing! We love you so much.

Kendall Yake said...

Just want you to know I'm praying for you guys...and specifically for all the things you talked about in your last blog. Ahhh I can't believe the day is finally here. I had a dream the other night that I was playing with Luke and was helping teach him his name...it was really cool! It was so vivid. I'm sure you know this already, but I am rejoicing with you back home!
Love and hugs,
Kendall

Nancy Brandt said...

Dear Craig, Shar, Jody, Amanda &Ben,
Today's the day...
a new son/grandson/brother from the other side of our world!
I read this today and thought of you...
Job 42:2 "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thrawted."
We are keeping you before our good God.
The pics. are awesome!! Love,Nancy